I got tired of trying to remember what the keypad codes were for the most common HTML codes available. But when I discovered the wide variety of codes available, being the completeness hack that I am I decided to implement as many of them as possible. See the Unicode Standard page listed below for more information.
Furthermore, I wanted to learn WordPress plugin design (having done MediaWiki plugins in the past) because I really like the WordPress platform and this seemed like a perfect tool not only to learn all of the various details of plugin design but also give something back to the WordPress community.
Therefore, after working, on and off, on this plugin for about two years, I finally began a concentrated effort over a couple of months to bring to publishable quality. Even then, it underwent significant modification as I better understood WordPress design principles and discovered better ways to code the plugin, plus learning XML construction and becoming acquainted with jQuery and SimpleXML functionality.
Right now, though, much as I’ve thought the same thing these past weeks only to find I was wrong, I feel I’ve done as much as I can with this plugin and now I can feel confident about releasing it to the world.